CORD is a non-governmental and charitable organization, which came into existence in 2018 with the vision to empower and transform the world into a wonderful place through capacity enhancement and innovative initiatives that propel the engine of inclusive development. CORD has a great passion to lead the communities to transformational change through high-quality education, healthy life and self- reliance to achieving sustainable development. The organization upholds its prime principle of humanity (charity) around which all the other values orbit to inspire and transform communities to lead healthy and prosperous life. The crises in South Sudan and around the globe have negatively impacted the communities, infrastructure, ecosystem and environment; hence there is need to transform and build a wonderful world.
CORD believes healthy living can only come through community empowerment that drives innovative projects for sustainable development in the country and beyond. CORD strives to restore the dignity of South Sudanese through educative and economic capacity building so that they can stand by themselves and tap every opportunity that alleviates their living conditions. CORD as a national organization has high aspirations to spearhead all initiatives that lead to the realization of United Nations (UN) Global Agenda of 2030 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in partnership with both UN Agencies and other development partners within South Sudan and elsewhere in world.
To have a peaceful and resilient world with equal opportunities and enhanced community capacity, which bring about an inclusive and progressive development.
We envision a peaceful and resilient world with equal opportunities and enhanced community capabilities that allow everyone to participate in building a wonderful world for decent living.
Advancing equal opportunities to enhance community capabilities across the globe to survive, adapt and thrive for an inclusive development that allows everyone to participate in building a resilient world.
- Promote easy accessibility to education for all, regardless of age, sex, color, region and creed. Advance capacity building to individuals, groups and institutions for all to make informed decisions on the affairs that affect their lives.
- Nurture ideal system of governance based on democratic and human rights principles through peace building programs, advocacy and protection and inclusive participation of every citizen in decision-making on the affairs of their society.
- Together strive to fight deadliest diseases and advance WASH activities in order to ensure that everyone leads long, healthy, productive and decent life.
- Support and spearhead innovative activities aimed at eliminating extreme poverty, protect and enhance environmental programs and enable communities tap opportunities leading to improved livelihoods.
- Provide humanitarian aid in all phases of both natural and man-made disasters’ cycle as a way of building communities resilience to prepare, mitigate, respond to and recover from the impact of those disasters.
OUR THEMATIC AREAS
Education, capacity building and research and development
Enhancing accessibility to quality education, scientific research and professional training for all without discrimination as a means of raising open-minded global citizens and accountable institutions with the capability of creating knowledge-based innovations and policies that lead to a wonderful and common future of humankind.
- Capacity building: enrich individuals and institutions (including CORD) with innovative (scientific and technological) skills, instincts, abilities, processes and resources that individuals, organizations and communities need to survive, adapt and thrive in the fast-changing world – thus, resilient and development.
- Educational learning: CORD believes in leading education that provides students with innovation, entrepreneurial, leadership and community-oriented approaches to the emerging global complex issues.
- Research and development: provision of Nonprofit Community Case Bank (NCCB) for NGOs, Public and Management actors in which scientific or evidence-based case studies are developed based on the context, time and the nature of the issue.
Governance: protection, peace building, and conflict reconciliation
In nurturing the ideal system of governance based on democratic and human rights principles, CORD aims to build a pacified world peace building programs, advocacy and protection and inclusive participation of every citizen in decision-making on the affairs of their society.
- Access to justice and accountability: to aid both communal and national justice systems to enhance quality of justice and accountability to all persons and institutions who seek legal support once their rights have been or are about to get violated.
- Peace building and conflict resolution: to create peaceful communities, end conflicts and innovate new approaches to resolve conflicts and violence among people through coexistence, collaboration, and equitable resource distribution aiming to end the cycle of poverty that triggers violence among people.
- Protection and advocacy: to trumpet calls for protection against all forms of human rights (focusing on children, women and persons with special needs) abuses, exploitations, neglects, violence, falsification, and thievery of material, financial and intellectual property rights.
Health and WASH
In an effort to achieve universal health coverage, CORD aims to provide access to clean and safe water, sanitary and hygienic practices, medicines and vaccines for all as it prioritizes:
- Attain Good Health and Well-being: combat Malaria, HIV and other killer diseases employing a multidimensional approach that focuses on prevention and treatment, education, immunization campaigns, and sexual and reproductive healthcare especially among the most vulnerable communities.
- Water: increase efficiency, accessibility and sustainable management of clean and safe water for vulnerable communities in South Sudan and around the world to realize that clean and safe water isn’t a luxury but a necessity and a fundamental human right according to the United Nations 2010 Declaration. “Water is colorless and tasteless, but you can live on it longer than eating food.” African Proverb.
- Sanitation: promote measures necessary for proper disposal of human and animal wastes, proper use of toilet and avoiding open space defecation as a means of improving and protecting health and well being of the people.
- Hygiene: instill the practice of appropriate general cleanliness (including hand washing practices with soap) in order to stimulate behavioural change through motivation, information and education leading to healthy and hygienic behaviour.
Livelihoods, climate change and sustainable development
Accelerate economic sustainability that enhances self-reliance of individuals and communities for improved living standards and human dignity, CORD spearheads:
- Innovative entrepreneurial startups: promote innovation-driven entrepreneurial initiatives aimed at boosting the economic independence of individuals in the formal and informal sectors.
- Agriculture – crops, fisheries and livestock: aim to transform agriculture into knowledge-based industry that supports the livelihoods of the community to achieve positive changes in their living conditions.
- Environmental management: to urgently induce modern and solution-oriented programs inline with the Paris Agreement on Climate Change and actions that seek to keep the earth carrying capacity intact from depreciation and stabilize climate to its desired original nature, among communities.
Relief and emergency intervention: passionate to save lives, alleviate suffering and uphold human dignity during and in the post-disasters caused by man-made crises and natural hazards. Rehabilitation, preparedness, prevention and mitigation are key aspects in building resilient communities by strengthening early warning systems.
we will pursue the following strategies to reach our objectives:
- Assist local populations affected by the conflict to cope up from the effects of armed conflict and/or natural disaster.
- Provide the community members with the necessary tools and mechanisms to combat diseases such as HIV/AIDS and raise awareness of consciousness amongst the communities to prevent and respond to WASH related issues.
- Develop programs that aim at eradicating extreme poverty and providing opportunities that contribute to improve livelihoods.
- Build the capacity of both males and females; boys and girls in ensuring that they enjoy their fundamental rights as human beings and participate in decision making processes on issues that affect their communities.
- Support and promote easy access to education for both boys and girls.
- Create resilient and self-reliant communities that survive, adapt and thrive for an inclusive development through a participatory approach.
Humanitarian Condition in South Sudan
The humanitarian crises escalated by the legacy of civil war and acute underdevelopment continues to intensify at a devastating pace affecting people leaving them impoverished and weakened to cope with life. South Sudanese are in dire need of health care, education, livelihoods, peace, and prosperity. Considering the deteriorating humanitarian situation and limited access to basic services, humanitarian interventions are deemed necessary. Similarly, the signing of the revitalized peace deal in Addis Ababa, gives a glimpse of hope for developmental organizations to extend their operations in South Sudan not only with extra educational programming, which builds the resilience of the local communities to get economically free but also initiate innovations that lead healthy living of the people and the prosperity of the communities.